Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bacon, Egg & Cheese Tart


Gorgeous isn't it? 

Well, I saved the best for last!  How do I know this is a winner winner chicken dinner?

1.  Jalen ate it
2.  When she saw a picture of this on my phone she squealed "mama! This is EXACTLY like the picture on your food magazine"!  

Sad, but this is how I define success.

I was the lucky recipient of a subscription to Food Network Magazine at Christmas from my wonderful friend Mark L.  This cover caught my eye.  I thought it was brilliant.  I don't get out much do I?

First I must warn  you, if you have never worked with puff pastry, it can be a little intimidating.  Ok, a LOT intimidating haha!  But go ahead, be brave, JUST TRY IT! This little breakfast can be changed up with different cheeses, herbs, meats or veggies.  

Bacon, Egg & Cheese Tart
(Courtesy of Food Network Magazine)


    All-purpose flour, for dusting
    1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17-to-18-ounce package), thawed
    2 strips bacon
    1 1/2 cups shredded gouda, colby jack or whatever cheese you love
    3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
    4 large eggs
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

  • Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 12-inch square, then cut into 4 equal squares. Slightly fold and pinch the edges of each square to form 4 round tart shells. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and prick all over with a fork. Bake until very lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.  You will bake them again, so don't overbake the first time!
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, then crumble.
Let the tart shells cool slightly on the baking sheets. If the centers are very puffy, prick with a fork to deflate. Sprinkle evenly with the cheeses. Make a shallow well in the cheese in the center of each tart and crack an egg into each; season lightly with salt and pepper. Parmesan is very salty already! Top with the bacon, then return to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, 10 to 15 minutes.  You can freeze the extra shells in a freezer bag, after the first bake :)

1 comment:

  1. I would cheat and use a pizza shell LOL.

    Yeah that's me the short cut lady :)

    It looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete