Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Vanilla Syrup



Ok, lets face it...I'm officially old.  Soon to be 41 years old.  Why do you care? Well if you are a youngin, you may not remember Vanilla Pepsi.  Or, if you are not from Oildale, you may not know of Vanilla Pepsi with crushed ice that you could get at any of the neighborhood drive-thru's.  The Carousel.  Fosters Freeze.  There's one more I cannot remember the name of lol.  Well I recently discovered this trend again at a coffee joint in my new building at work.  Needless to say my new daily "habit" was adding up to some serious change.  It was time to take matters into my own hands.  My gosh, who can possibly afford a vanilla pepsi AND a caramocha every single day??  Well this stuff is stupid simple and can be added to sodas, ice cream, coffee...the list is endless.  Enjoy!

Vanilla Syrup
(adapted from numerous recipes)

2 c sugar
1 c water
1 vanilla bean
1 tsp vanilla extract

Split vanilla bean and scrape with the back of your knife.  Place the pod and seeds into a pan with all ingredients EXCEPT the extract.  Heat over low until sugar is completely dissolved.  Add extract and let mixture steep and cool on stove for a couple of hours.  Discard vanilla pod (or wash it and put into some sugar to make vanilla scented sugar) and refrigerate.  From what I've read this should last up to 2 weeks in the fridge.  I also read a post where someone canned this stuff.  I use about a tablespoon in my Pepsi and lordy-be, its ah-mazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment