Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Spicy Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil and Gouda



Yes I KNOW I haven't posted in 4 months...ok maybe its been 6 months.  Man o man is life keeping me busy.  The only reason I am posting now is:

1.  I love you.
2.  My child is still sleeping.
3.  My child has been sick and I've been stuck in this stinking house for 6 days

Now to the good stuff.  I have several blogs that I follow in my Yahoo reader.  One of these is The Pioneer Woman whom I ADORE!  Funny, down to earth and awesome recipes.  This is one of them.  You get a nice warmth on your tongue from the addition of some adobo from a can of Chipotle Peppers, a gorgeous smokiness from the gouda which is offset by the freshness of the basil and tomatoes.  I actually can picture this with the addition of fresh grilled corn cut right off the cobb OR add some chicken and make it a meal in itself.  Maybe I'm crazy.

Spicy Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil and Gouda
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

1/2 lb Tri-Color Rotini
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c milk (any milk you have on hand)
4 tbls white vinegar
1-2 tsp adobo sauce from a can of Chipotle Peppers
Salt & pepper to taste
1 container grape tomatoes (I used a mixture of red & yellow because it was pretty) cut in half
1/2 lb smoked gouda (cubed)
20 basil leaves (more or less depending on taste - chiffonade)

Boil the noodles in salted water according to package directions.  In a small bowl combine:  mayo, milk, vinegar, adobo (start with 1 tsp and increase depending on your taste) and salt & pepps.  TASTE IT.  Adjust to your liking.  Drain the noodles and run under cold water until cool.  Put in a large bowl and add the sauce a little at a time.  I made half the noodles the recipe called for and a whole batch of sauce as I like things a little..well, saucier :)  Once you find your perfect consistency - add your basil.  Its best if eaten the same day it is made as the basil will wilt quite badly :(  I still ate it, ugly basil and all haha!

*Note - to chiffonade your basil, stack the leaves on top of each other and roll them up long ways.  Then slice.  Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment