Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chile Verde and Rice


First, let me apologize for the massive amount of sour cream that APPEARS to be on top of this burrito.  It was the angle of my cell phone (honestly).  Now, I realize that you cannot fully appreciate the filling inside this delectable, crunchy burrito, but let me tell you it is fabulous.  I won't actually be sharing the recipe for the chile verde though LOL I know I am so stinking mean huh?? But it's the rice.  I have messed with this recipe for YEARS let me tell you.  Now, even my sister likes it.  That is saying a LOT because she doesn't like anything, except for salad and overcooked chicken hehe.  

This recipe comes from my ex mother-in-law Rose.  Gawd I loved that woman.  She could cook her booty off.  She also taught me the chile verde.  I should have gotten her pickled tongue recipe now that I think about it hmmm....anyways.  She was half Hispanic so I consider this to be authentic.  If it isn't, please do not tell me about it haha.  

Mexican Rice

1 cup long grain rice (I use only Mahatma)
1 14 oz can chicken broth
1 7 oz can hot tomato sauce (El Pato)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small onion, minced (you can cheat like I do and use dried onion)
1 tablespoon oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Put the oil in a frying pan over high heat.  Add rice, salt and pepper, onion and garlic and stir. DO NOT let the garlic burn, stir constantly.  The rice color will start to change, some of the grains will turn opaque.  At this point, add remaining ingredients, stir to combine.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer.  DO NOT remove the lid for 20 minutes.  Remove lid, stir and fluff rice.  Taste to check for tenderness.  If need be, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  
*Note:  Once rice is cooked, you can let this stand (no heat) with the lid on until rest of meal is done.  Usually adds great texture and additional flavor (or, I could be crazy on this part).  

No comments:

Post a Comment