Saturday, December 18, 2010

Salted Pecan Toffee With Bittersweet Chocolate


WARNING - THIS IS NOT MY ACTUAL TOFFEE.....but it looked just as good.  I was SO busy on baking day I only actually took pictures of TWO things.  I'm retarded of course you all already know that.  But in a good way hahaha.

This was my first attempt at toffee.  It was not nearly as difficult as the homemade caramel candies.  It was very very good and I rated the recipe on the site 4 out of 5 stars.  I have NOT perfected it but I will say this...try it.  It is suitable for moderate bakers.  Also I used almonds instead of pecans.  And I didn't add any into the mix because, well, I don't really care for nuts.  Now the sea salt.  Do NOT let this scare you away and don't you EVEN THINK about not using it.  I will know.  You know I will.  I did only use 1 teaspoon because it seemed to cover it.  It is not some fancy ingredient...even the Dollar Tree sells it!!

Here are the two problems I experienced.  1.  Some of the chocolate fell off the top when I tried to break it up.  2.  The color did not change until the thermometer was WAY past 310.  It still turned out way good but it freaked this moderate baker out.  I will absolutely try this again.  I loved the bittersweet chocolate on the top, it was perfect!  I also put broken pieces into the same candy bags that the marshmallow swizzle sticks used - ta da!

Salted Pecan Toffee
(Courtesy of My Recipes)

3 1/2  cups  sugar

2 cups pecan halves
  • 1 1/2  cups  butter
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  tablespoon  vanilla extract
  • 12  ounces  bittersweet chocolate
  • 2  teaspoons  fleur de sel  or coarse sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Put pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 8 minutes. When cool enough to handle, chop roughly. Divide into 2 batches; chop 1 batch finely. Set both batches aside.

2. Put sugar, butter, salt, and 3/4 cup water in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat (see Notes). When butter and sugar are melted, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is deep golden brown and measures 310° on a candy thermometer, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla (mixture will bubble up) and finely chopped pecans. Pour into a 10- by 15-in. rimmed baking sheet. Let toffee cool until set, at least 30 minutes. (For even pieces, you can score the toffee by cutting it with a sharp knife after it has set for about 10 minutes, scoring into 5 strips lengthwise and 8 strips crosswise to yield 40 pieces. Wipe knife clean with warm water after each slice for easier cutting.)
3. Chop chocolate and put in a medium metal bowl. Fill an 8- or 10-in. frying pan with 1/2 in. of water and bring to a boil. Take off heat and put bowl of chocolate in the water. Let sit about 5 minutes. Stir chocolate until melted. Pour over toffee; with a knife or offset spatula, spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate with roughly chopped pecans. Let sit 20 minutes, or until chocolate is cool but still a bit soft. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
4. To remove, gently twist pan to release toffee, then chop or break into chunks. Store in an airtight container.
Ok people, I know that this post is ALL messed up and its really ticking me off but NOTHING I am doing will fix the freaking font OR COLOR AAAHHHHHHHHHH.  Someday when I am big and cool I will have my own.com and will not have to suffer through this :)-
Love,
Special K

No comments:

Post a Comment